Fun and festive finger sandwiches that make the perfect party appetizer.
I recently purchased a package of sun-dried tomato sandwich wraps and as I was taking them out of the package one afternoon to make lunch their vibrant orange color reminded me, not of tomatoes, but of carrots. Shortly thereafter these Carrot Chicken Salad Wraps were born. I took my basic Clean Chicken Salad recipe, which I have been using for years, and added some classic carrot cake ingredients – finely grated carrots, raisins, and walnuts – to create these festive finger sandwiches.
An 8-inch wrap cut in half and then rolled into a cone shape is the perfect container for a few spoonfuls of delicious chicken salad. You can roll these wraps into carrot shapes very quickly, which is good because this is a party-size recipe, yielding two dozen Carrot Chicken Salad Wraps.
The mayonnaise in any chicken salad recipe is important so use the best quality available. When I have time, I like to make my own avocado mayonnaise; this is what I used to make Carrot Chicken Salad Wraps (see recipe below). Store-bought mayonnaise is fine too but just keep in mind that almost all commercial mayonnaise is made with factory refined oils such as canola oil, soybean oil, corn oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, and peanut oil. These oils are thought to cause widespread inflammation in the body and have been linked to diabetes, cancer and heart disease in multiple studies. When I purchase mayonnaise I always buy one made with unrefined oil such as avocado oil or olive oil. Here is one brand I like.
Carrot Chicken Salad Wraps are ideal for entertaining and would be great as a passed appetizer or a fun addition to a buffet table. If you like chicken salad check out these other recipes: Curry Chickpea Chicken Salad, Clean Chicken Salad, Cranberry Walnut Chicken Salad, Dill Pickle Chopped Chicken Salad.
- 3 bone-in, skin on, chicken breasts – about 3 to 3½ lbs. total
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1¼ cups (5 ounces) finely grated carrots
- 1 cup (3½ ounces) walnuts, coarsely chopped and toasted
- 1 cup (5 ounces) raisins
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped (white and light green parts)
- ¾ cup homemade avocado mayonnaise (recipe in notes) or store-bought mayonnaise
- 12 - 8-inch sun-dried tomato wraps or other orange colored wraps (i.e. tomato, tomato basil)
- 2 ounces parsley (curly, NOT flat-leaf)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and pace chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Brush all over with olive oil, and then sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Place pan on the bottom rack of oven and roast for 40 minutes.
- When the chicken is done remove it from the oven and immediately cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Let the chicken rest like this for at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours. Once the chicken is completely cooled, cut each breast in half crosswise, remove the skin and bones, and pull the chicken apart with your fingers into bite size pieces following the grain of the meat. (Alternatively, you can cut the chicken into ½ inch cubes.)
- Combine the chicken meat, carrots, walnuts, raisins, celery, scallions, and mayonnaise. Mix until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Cut each wrap in half. Starting directly in the middle of the wrap, on the cut edge, roll it into a cone shape. Holding the cone shaped wrap in one hand, spoon the chicken salad into it with your other hand. Place it seam side down on a platter. Stick sprigs of curly parsley into the top. Repeat with remaining wraps.
½ cup avocado oil
1 teaspoon salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Put the avocado oil, egg, salt and pepper into the beaker that came with your immersion blender, the carafe of a blender, or the work bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture is emulsified and is the consistency of mayonnaise.
Yield: ¾ cup
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!