Chocolate Peppermint Tofu Ice Cream is an amazingly simple vegan ice cream with rich chocolate taste and refreshing peppermint flavor. It’s made with tofu and almond milk, sweetened with maple syrup, and even for non-vegans is a great substitute for regular ice cream when you want something light without as much fat and calories.
There are many good ethical reasons to become a vegan but more and more people are choosing veganism because they believe plant-based diets are healthier. In addition, allergies and food intolerances (especially dairy related) are on the rise in the US and this too, is increasing the demand for vegan food.
The base of Chocolate Peppermint Tofu Ice Cream is made with silken tofu. Be sure to use the refrigerated variety of silken tofu for this recipe, which is typically of higher quality than unrefrigerated boxed tofu. Silken tofu has a softer, more custard like texture than regular tofu so it works well in recipes where a creamy consistency is desired.
If you’re vegan or have been advised to give up dairy you’re probably missing ice cream. I guarantee you’ll be missing it a lot less after you try Chocolate Peppermint Tofu Ice Cream. It’s not quite as creamy as the dairy filled version, but it will most definitely satisfy your ice cream craving.
- 16 ounces silken tofu - refrigerated variety
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Combine all ingredients in the work bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- Pour mixture into an ce cream maker and process for 15 minutes or until the mixture has the consistency of ice cream. Makes 8 - ½ cup servings
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!