Make a special Valentine’s Day breakfast for your loved ones!
Valentine’s Day comes at a cruel time of year for some. Anyone who has successfully stuck to their New Year’s resolution to lose weight or eat healthier is probably pretty proud of themselves by the time Valentine’s Day rolls around. Then, all of the sudden, chocolate is everywhere! It takes a lot of willpower to resist so many decadent holiday treats, but if you’re determined not to given in to temptation, you can still celebrate in the most delicious way with Valentine Prosciutto Egg Cups. They’re not chocolate, but they’re unique, adorable, and super easy to make.
Roasted red peppers make perfect little hearts for Valentine Prosciutto Egg Cups. A small jar of roasted red peppers will be enough for a dozen Valentine Prosciutto Egg Cups. Use a mini heart-shaped cookie cutter to stamp out 12 hearts. No need to throw away the roasted red pepper scraps – put them back in the jar for later use.
Many recipes for baked egg cups call for using deli ham, but I prefer prosciutto instead. Thinly sliced prosciutto is easier to line the cups with and has a more delicate taste. You can use ceramic ramekins in this recipe if you only want to make a few Valentine Prosciutto Egg Cups, but a standard 12-cup muffin pan works great for feeding a crowd.
Valentine Prosciutto Egg Cups are a great breakfast or brunch dish, but you could also serve them for dinner. They’d go great alongside grilled steak – steak and eggs is, after all, a classic combination. How fun it would be to present these at a casual Valentine’s Day dinner party!
This Valentine’s Day surprise your loved ones with a different kind of treat. Valentine Prosciutto Egg Cups might not taste as good as chocolate but, they’ll be a lot more memorable – and healthier too!
- 6 ounces roasted red peppers (from a jar)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 12 slices (about 6 ounces) thinly sliced prosciutto
- 12 eggs
- ¾ cup shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon fresh or freeze dried chives
- Using a mini heart-shaped cookie cutter (about 1¼ inches in width) stamp out 12 heart shaped pieces of roasted red peppers. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and brush a standard 12-cup muffin tin with olive oil.
- Line each muffin cup with 1 slice of prosciutto, cutting or folding in half if necessary to fit evenly into the pan.
- Crack an egg into each cup and bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 7 minutes
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese on top of each egg. Lay a roasted red pepper heart on top. Return to the oven for another 7 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Sprinkle with chives and serve.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!