The Recipe Redux is a group of like-minded food bloggers whose mission is to inspire the food lover in every healthy eater and inspire the healthy eater in every food lover. Each month members post recipes to their blogs following a theme set by the group moderators. Click the Recipe Redux link at the bottom of this page to see links to all the posts for this month’s challenge.
Spring is a special time for celebrations. As the flowers are blooming and the grass is getting greener and lusher by the day, there is a sense of rebirth and renewal in the air. How fitting then, that this should be the season for graduations, showers, and weddings. These milestone celebrations call for delicious food and festive beverages so it’s only natural that this month’s Recipe Redux theme is “Cocktails and Mocktails for May Celebrations”. My fellow Reduxers and I have been busy creating delicious party beverages. Please be sure to clink the link at the end of this post to see the wide assortment of delicious drinks with plenty of non-alcoholic options. My creation was this Wild Blueberry Kombucha Martini. If you agree that healthy is a relative term, then I dare say that this might be one of the healthiest martinis ever!
Kombucha is an ancient Chinese beverage of fermented tea that has been widely praised for its numerous health benefits. It is thought to improve digestion and joint health, aid in weight loss, increase energy, boost immunity, and fight cancer. Wild blueberries are no slacker in the health department either. They are loaded with antioxidants and are an excellent source of fiber and manganese. And – bonus – they also have a more intense flavor than regular cultivated blueberries, with a unique mix of sweet and tart due to a lower water content, which is why I chose them over regular blueberries for this Wild Blueberry Kombucha Martini.
Note that the blueberry juice used in this recipe is nothing more than pureed wild blueberries, and a little bit of coconut sugar, pushed through a fine mesh strainer. The consistency is thick and syrupy with a unbelievabe flavor! If you’re short on time or don’t own a blender or food processor you can substitute store-bought blueberry juice in this recipe but try to find one without added sugar. Also, be aware that it’s hard to find pure wild blueberry juice. Most of the blueberry juice available at mainstream grocery stores is made from regular cultivated blueberries and is a blend of juices – usually blueberry and apple juice. So, for the purest, most intense blueberry flavor, make your own wild blueberry juice for this Wild Blueberry Kombucha Martini.
This Wild Blueberry Kombucha Martini has “fun” written all over it. I always love it when I attend a celebration and the host has prepared a specialty cocktail. It adds to the festiveness of the occasion and makes guests feel special. Salut!
- 2 cups (12 ounces) frozen wild blueberries
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 6 fluid ounces vodka
- 4 fluid ounces lemon kombucha
- lemon slices and fresh blueberries (optional garnish)
- Make blueberry juice. Defrost the wild blueberries or microwave them for 1 minutes. Puree them, along with the coconut sugar, in a blender or food processor until smooth. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer and, using the back of a spoon, stir and press on the solids to extract as much juice as possible. (Discard the solids or save to stir into yogurt or add to muffin/pancake batter.)
- Combine the vodka, kombucha, and blueberry juice in a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice, cover, and shake until chilled.
- Strain into chilled martini glasses.
- Garnish with lemon slices and fresh blueberries if desired.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!