Get a healthy dose of veggies with this low-carb, keto, gluten-free bread made with just 3 ingredients!
BROCCOLI – A CRUCIFEROUS VEGETABLE
Most people are aware that vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts are “cruciferous” vegetables, but have you ever wondered what that word actually means? The term “cruciferous” is an informal way of classifying members of the mustard family of vegetables and derives from the Latin word “Cruciferae” which means “cross bearing”. Vegetables in this category are so named because their 4-petaled leaves resemble (roughly) the shape of a cross.
Cruciferous vegetables are best known for their cancer fighting compounds but they’re also:
• high in fiber and calcium
• good sources of beta-carotene (turns into vitamin A)
• rich in vitamins C, E, and K
• low in calories
Broccoli is probably the most popular cruciferous vegetable here in the U.S. so it’s worth exploring new and different ways to prepare it because let’s face it, plain old steamed or roasted broccoli can get a little boring. How about trying this 3 Ingredient Broccoli Bread? It’s a fun, delicious way to eat broccoli and each slice contains the equivalent of more than 1 serving (1 cup) of broccoli. It’s also low-carb, keto, gluten-free and grain-free.
As the recipe title indicates, you only need 3 ingredients to make this bread:
1. Broccoli – I like the convenience of using 1-pound bags of frozen broccoli so that’s what this recipe calls for, but you can definitely use fresh broccoli if you wish. In fact, this recipe is a great way to use up broccoli stalks/stems that might otherwise be discarded. If you opt for using fresh broccoli make sure to measure out 1 pound and then steam it before proceeding with the recipe. An easy way to steam broccoli is in the microwave using a recipe like this one.
2. Eggs – I’ve made the bread countless times and it doesn’t seem to matter whether you use small eggs, large eggs, or even an egg substitute. They all work, so go with whatever you have on hand.
3. Cheddar cheese – There are countless varieties of cheddar cheese on the market so have fun experimenting to create different flavor variations of this bread, just make sure that whatever kind of cheese you use, you grate if very fine. Sometimes you can buy cheddar that’s pre-grated (make sure the package says “finely” grated) but more often than not, you’ll have to grate it yourself. (If using a box grater, use the side with the smallest holes.) Don’t cheat on this step because if the cheese if not grated finely enough it won’t get evenly distributed and the bread may not hold together properly.
HOW TO MAKE 3 INGREDIENT BROCCOLI BREAD
1. Cook the broccoli – Whether you use fresh or frozen broccoli, you’ll need to cook it first. If using frozen, simply follow the directions on the package. If using fresh, steam it until it’s crisp tender. (Vegetables that are cooked crisp-tender are heated and cooked all the way through, but still have some snap to them.)
2. Squeeze the water out of the broccoli – This is the most cumbersome part of the recipe. Once the broccoli is cooked and run through the food processor, you’ll need to squeeze all the water out of it. The easiest way to do this is using a nut milk bag (as pictured above) but you can also use a thin, clean dish towel, such as a flour sack, or a layered piece of cheese cloth. All of these methods work well, just be sure to use your muscle and squeeze as hard as you can. The more water that’s extracted from the broccoli, the better, and more bread-like, the texture will be.
3. Mix the broccoli with the eggs and cheese – Combine the broccoli pulp with the eggs and cheese and mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and place them on a silicone or parchment lined baking sheet.
4. Form/mold the bread – You have a few different options for shaping the bread. You can:
- press/mold the batter into 4-inch squares. A bench scraper is a good tool for this task if you have one.
- press the batter into a bread slice shaped cookie cutter like this one (pictured above).
- flatten the mounds of batter into circles that are about 3½ inches in diameter.
Flattening into circles is the easiest option and the one I choose most often because I like to use this bread for veggies burgers.
5. Bake – 3 Ingredient Broccoli Bread takes only 12 minutes to bake. Flip the slices over during the last 2 minutes to ensure even cooking.
If you don’t plan on using 3 Ingredient Broccoli Bread the day it’s made, freeze the slices in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet and then transfer to a zip lock bag and put them back in the freezer. To serve, toast the frozen bread slices for 3-4 minutes or place them in a 400-degree oven for 5-7 minutes.
If you like this recipe check out 3 Ingredient Cauliflower Bread. And if you’re looking for more recipes with just 3 ingredients see 3 Ingredient Baked Haddock and 3 Ingredient Healthy Pancakes.
If you make 3 Ingredient Broccoli Bread don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me over on Instagram @QueenofMyKitchen. I’d love to see your creation!
3 Ingredient Broccoli Bread
- 1 pound of frozen broccoli
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (1½ ounces) finely grated cheddar cheese
- Pinch of salt optional
- Cook the broccoli according to package directions. Transfer it to the work bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Spoon the broccoli into a nut milk bag and twist/squeeze it to extract as much liquid as possible. (You can also use a clean dish cloth.) Transfer it to a mixing bowl and add the eggs and cheese. Stir until well combined.
- Place 4 equal mounds of batter onto the baking sheet. Press/flatten the mounds into 3½ -inch circles, keeping the thickness as even as possible (see notes #1).
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 10 minutes. Flip the bread over and return to the oven for 2 minutes more.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SAVE IT TO PINTEREST!