Satisfy your bread craving with cauliflower! A keto, paleo, low-carb, gluten-free substitute for traditional wheat bread.
JUMP TO RECIPE
BREAD MADE FROM CAULIFLOWER
Bread and cauliflower are foods at opposite ends of the nutrition spectrum so the idea that you can turn cauliflower into bread seems a little zany, but it’s possible! What’s even more crazy is that you can do it with just 3 ingredients! This keto friendly, 3 Ingredient Cauliflower Bread is a delicious, healthy substitute for traditional wheat bread and is perfect for anyone looking to eat healthier, or reduce their carbohydrate intake by eliminating traditional wheat bread from their diets. It’s got an awesome taste and texture and is guaranteed to satisfy even the most intense bread craving!
WHY MAKE YOUR OWN LOW-CARB BREAD?
You’re probably wondering if it’s worth the effort to make your own low-carb bread, and the answer is a resounds YES! Why? Because, the vast majority of bread you’ll find in grocery stores is not only high in carbohydrates, but is low in essential nutrients, and often laden with added sugar and harmful preservatives. The other problem is that almost all bread, even a lot of the healthier varieties, contains gluten, a protein found in wheat that has adverse health consequences for people with celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. 3 Ingredient Cauliflower Bread is the answer to all these thorny issues. One slice has 10 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber, and only 6 grams of carbohydrates. Compare that to a similar size piece of typical white bread that has just 2 grams of protein, less than 1 gram of fiber, and a whopping 13 grams of carbohydrates! That’s quite a disparity in nutrient profiles so it’s worth recapping: each piece of 3 Ingredient Cauliflower Bread has five times the amount of protein, 3 times the amount of fiber and 50% less carbs than a typical piece of white bread. Wow! (Note: not everybody is looking to, or needs to, cut their carbohydrate intake, but for some people, there are compelling reasons to do so. Consuming a lot of high carb foods can cause rapid spikes in blood sugar, which can, over time, lead to all sorts of health problems. Check out this article on The Top Ten Reasons to Cut Down on Carbohydrates.)
SHAPING YOUR “BREAD”
For this 3 Ingredient Cauliflower Bread post I used a bread slice shaped cookie cutter as a mold but most of the time when I make this recipe I simply flatten the mounds of batter into circles so they bake up more like buns. Another option you have when making this bread is to make 8 instead of 4, in which case you’ll end up with much thinner bread, similar to these cauliflower sandwich thins – a product I used to buy before I developed this recipe. (They’re very good but also very expensive.)
USE LIKE REGULAR SANDWICH BREAD
3 Ingredient Cauliflower Bread is great for sandwiches and veggie burgers and even tastes good all by itself.
For other unique recipes using cauliflower check out: Baked Cauliflower Gnocchi, Cauliflower Broccoli Pizza Crust, Cauliflower Puffs, White Cheddar Cauliflower Donuts, and Cauliflower Roulade.
If you make 3 Ingredient Cauliflower Bread, don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me over on Instagram @QueenofMyKitchen. I’d love to see your creation!
- 1 pound frozen cauliflower florets
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (1½ ounces) finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the cauliflower according to package directions. Transfer it to the work bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Spoon the cauliflower into a nut milk bag and twist/squeeze it to extract as much liquid as possible. (You can also use a clean dish cloth.) Transfer it to a mixing bowl and add the eggs and cheese. Stir until well combined.
- Place 4 equal mounds of batter onto the baking sheet. Press/flatten the mounds into 3½ -inch circles, keeping the thickness as even as possible (see notes #1).
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 10 minutes. Flip the bread over and return to the oven for 2 minutes more.
2. If not using the bread the same day, freeze in a single layer and then transfer to a zip lock bag and store in the freezer. To serve, toast the frozen bread for 3-4 minutes.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SAVE IT TO PINTEREST!