Get a healthy dose of omega-3’s with this easy and elegant dish you can have on the dinner table in under 30 minutes. JUMP TO RECIPE
I find salmon almost as versatile to cook as chicken so I make it quite often. My usual preparation is roasting it simply, with olive oil, salt and pepper, and a sprinkling of Herbs de Provence, or, if I’m in the mood for something with more robust flavor, I’ll spread some homemade pesto on top before roasting. Lately I’ve gotten a little bored with these dishes and decided it was time for something new. Pistachio crusted recipes are popular right now so I decided to come up with one of these toppings for salmon. After doing a little research I learned that apricots pair well with pistachios, so I mixed up a traditional pistachio topping and threw in some apricot jam to create this easy and elegant salmon dish. Apricot Pistachio Crusted Salmon has incredible savory flavor with just a hint of sweet and tart from the apricots and lemon. If you’re a fan of salmon, you’ll definitely want to add this recipe to your lunch/dinner rotation.
Here are a few tips for making Apricot Crusted Pistachio Salmon. Tip #1: Have your fishmonger cut the salmon into individual fillets instead of doing it yourself at home. With a commercial food scale and the right type of knife, it’s much easier for them to cut the fillets all the same size, which is important so that the fish cooks evenly. Tip #2: This dish requires only 15-20 minutes in the oven. For an even quicker preparation, make the topping ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator if you plan to use it within 2 days, or in the freezer for longer term storage. Then, all you need to do is spread the topping on the salmon and bake. (If stored in the freezer, the topping defrosts quickly.) Tip #3: Be careful when purchasing apricot jam as many varieties contain high fructose corn syrup, an unhealthy industrial food product that’s used to sweeten many mass-produced grocery items. Inspect the labels carefully and purchase jam that’s sweetened with plain old sugar. Tip#4: Pistachios are among the most expensive nuts. Buy them in bulk to save money.
Apricot Pistachio Crusted Salmon is so delicious! One bite and you most likely won’t be looking for other reasons to make this dish but just in case you are, did you know that the USDA’s dietary guidelines, along with leading health organizations, recommend eating seafood twice per week? And they specifically recommend including fish such as salmon because it’s higher in Omega-3’s and lower in mercury than other types of fish. Omega-3’s have numerous health benefits, which you can read more about here, and salmon is one of the best sources of these essential fatty acids.
For other delicious, nutritious salmon recipes check out: Chickpea Pasta with Salmon in Light Lemon Cream Sauce, Black Rice Salmon Salad with Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette, and Farro Salmon Salad.
If you make Apricot Pistachio Crusted Salmon don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me over on Instagram @QueenofMyKitchen. I’d love to see your creation!
- ½ cup (2½ ounces) roasted and salted pistachio kernels (no shells)
- 1 cup (1/2 ounce) Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1 lemon zested and then cut into wedges
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 heaping tablespoon apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ pounds of salmon cut into 4 fillets, about 6 ounces each
- Preheat the oven 425 degrees.
- Place the pistachios, parsley, lemon zest, garlic, bread crumbs and apricot jam in the work bowl of a food processor and pulse until crumbly. Pour the olive oil through the feed tube and process until a thick, sticky paste forms.
- Place about 1½ to 2 tablespoons of the mixture on top of each fillet and spread/press it evenly onto the tops of the salmon. (Use a piece of plastic wrap or wet your finger to prevent sticking if necessary.)
- Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 15 -20 min. Serve with the reserved lemon wedges
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SAVE ONE OF THESE IMAGES TO PINTEREST!