Here’s a fun and festive breakfast you can serve to your loved ones on July Fourth or any other patriotic holiday – Berry Patriotic Yogurt Parfait. These parfaits are super healthy and so easy to make. They’re similar to fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt but without all the added sugar and with a hefty helping of fresh berries on top. You might be tempted to use store-bought jam to make these parfaits but I urge you not to, as it takes less than two minutes to prep the raspberry chia jam and you will be rewarded with the most delicious, sweet, tart, jam you’ve ever tasted! (The method for making this jam works with frozen blueberries too.)
To make the raspberry chia jam place 1 1/2 cups of frozen raspberries in a small glass bowl, microwave them on high for 1 minute, and then mash them up with the tines of a fork. Add 2 teaspoons of sugar, stir, and microwave again for 30 seconds to dissolve all the sugar.
Add 1 tablespoon of chia seeds and stir the mixture well before transferring it to a jar or other storage container. Cover and refrigerate the jam for several hours or overnight. As it cools, the chia seeds become hydrated and expand, thickening the mixture and turning it into jam.
After the jam has thickened, just layer the ingredients into a pint size mason jar and it’s ready for serving. The nutrition facts for a Berry Patriotic Yogurt Parfait are impressive – 10 grams of protein and 9 grams of fiber. However, most impressive is the lower sugar content. Consider this: a 6 ounce serving of one of the most popular national brands of fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt (blueberry flavor) has 24 grams of sugar. An equal size serving of this Berry Patriotic Yogurt Parfait has only 11 grams of sugar – less than half the sugar! That’s huge!
These delicious Berry Patriotic Yogurt Parfaits are so pretty and so patriotic you’ll forget how nutritious they are! If you’re looking for a nice salad to make on the 4th check out my Berry Patriotic Salad with Gluten-Free Star Croutons post. Happy Independence Day!
- 5½ ounces frozen* raspberries (no sugar added), about 1½ cups
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons coconut palm sugar or white granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- To make the raspberry chia jam place the raspberries in a small glass bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Using the tines of a fork, mash up the raspberries until all the berries are broken apart into very small pieces and the mixture is quite liquid-y. Add the sugar and stir. Place the dish back in the microwave for another 30 seconds then add the chia seeds and stir well.
- Put the jam in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight to thicken.
- Layer ⅓ cup of raspberry chia jam into two 8 ounce mason jars, followed by ⅓ cup of greek yogurt. Top each jar with ½ of fresh blueberries.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!