Blue Cheese Broccoli Slaw with Figs, Walnuts, and Crispy Prosciutto was inspired by the popular Blue Cheese Cole Slaw recipe by Ina Garten, a/k/a The Barefoot Contessa. Initially I planned to do a version of this recipe using homemade avocado mayonnaise but when I did a search on Google and Pinterest, I saw that there were already tons of recipes out there for blue cheese cole slaw so I decided to create a broccoli slaw instead and compliment the wonderfully distinct flavor of blue cheese with dried mission figs, toasted walnuts, and crispy prosciutto. There’s no mayonnaise is this slaw; the dressing is made from olive oil, greek yogurt, blue cheese, and parmesan cheese. If you’re a fan of blue cheese you will love this dish!
You can find packages of prepared broccoli slaw at most grocery stores. They contain shredded broccoli, and usually a smaller amount of carrots and red cabbage which give it nice color. I buy a brand called Taylor Farms but several other companies such as Dole and Green Giant make broccoli slaw as well, so it’s pretty widely available. The convenience of not having to prep and wash the vegetables can’t be beat!
Crispy prosciutto on top of the Blue Cheese Broccoli Slaw acts as a beautiful garnish and adds a pleasant saltines to the dish. It adds an extra step to the recipe but it’s so simple to make. Just lay the prosciutto slices on a parchment lined sheet pan, bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, then let cool and crumble into small pieces. Sprinkle the crispy prosciutto on right before serving to ensure that it stays crispy. (Tip – when you’re short on time you can use crispy prosciutto as a substitute in recipes that call for cooked, crumbled bacon. It cooks much more quickly than bacon and is a lot less messy.)
Add Blue Cheese Broccoli Slaw with Figs, Walnuts, and Crispy Prosciutto to your list of recipes to try this summer. It’s fantastic with grilled steak and chicken and can be made ahead of time and served at room temperature making it perfect for picnics and backyard barbecues.
- 2 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced (about 4 slices)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup/2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 - 12 ounce package of broccoli slaw
- 1 cup/5 ounces dried mission figs, roughly chopped into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- To make the crispy prosciutto preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place the prosciutto slices on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Bake until the slices are browned and crispy, about 15 minutes. Let cool, then break into pieces (measuring roughly ½ inch) and set aside.
- To make dressing, place the garlic, lemon juice, greek yogurt, olive oil, blue cheese, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper into the work bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place broccoli slaw, along with the figs and walnuts, in a large bowl and pour the blue cheese dressing on top. Mix well. Just before serving, sprinkle the crispy prosciutto on top.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
I love broccoli slaw! This sounds like a great recipe to add to my collection! Thanks!