A unique and delicious dish full of lots of savory flavors with a beautiful, floral-like top layer of artichoke hearts.
Canned artichoke hearts are an amazing convenience food. I always have a few cans in my pantry because they’re so versatile. You can use them in salads, on antipasto platters, and in casserole-type dishes. Recently I added them to a baked frittata, laying them on top of the egg mixture prior to baking (versus mixing them in), to create a dish that is as beautiful as it is tasty. Chicken Artichoke Farro Frittata is a unique and delicious dish full of lots of savory flavors.
The ancient grain farro, also known as emmer, is a fiber-rich strain of wheat with an earthy, nutty taste. Farro plays an important role in Chicken Artichoke Farro Frittata. Cooked farro is spread over the bottom of the baking dish and forms a pseudo crust when baked. This creates a heartier dish than a traditional frittata.
Most frittatas look just like what they are – baked eggs. But in Chicken Artichoke Farro Frittata, the artichoke hearts hide the baked eggs underneath and create a pretty, floral-like top layer.
Enjoy Chicken Artichoke Farro Frittata hot or at room temperature for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. If you’d like to see more recipes with farro check out Orange Pecan Farro Salad, Farro Salmon Salad, and Lemony Shrimp with White Beans and Farro.
- Olive oil cooking spray
- ½ cup farro
- 6 eggs
- ⅓ cup whole milk ricotta
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) cooked chicken
- 6 scallions, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup (2 ounces) finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not oil packed)
- 14-ounce can of quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and spray a 10-inch glass or ceramic baking dish/tart pan with olive oil cooking spray.
- Rinse farro. Bring 1½ cups of water to a boil in a small pot. Add the farro. Reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, ricotta, sour cream, garlic, salt, and pepper and stir until the eggs are beaten and the ingredients are combined. Add the chicken, scallions, parsley and sun-dried tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Spread the farro over the bottom of the baking dish and pour the egg mixture over the top. Lay the artichoke hearts on top, evenly distributed.
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 30 minutes.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!