Kefir takes the place of buttermilk in these savory, gluten-free biscuits made with nutrient dense chickpea flour.
I’ve been experimenting a lot lately with chickpea flour and Chickpea Cheddar Kefir Biscuits are my most recent creation. (Check out Chickpea Pretzels too.) I was initially drawn to chickpea flour as a gluten-free alternative to wheat flour but have come to love it for many others reasons. It’s easy to use and can be successfully substituted for all-purpose wheat flour in a wide variety of recipes, without the addition of other gluten-free flours, starches or gums. It’s also inexpensive and easy to make at home by grinding garbanzo beans into a fine powder – easily achieved with the help of a food processor or high-powered blender. But the best reason of all to use chickpea flour is that it is one of the most nutrient dense gluten-free flours available. It’s high in protein and fiber, and packed with vitamins and minerals. These Chickpea Cheddar Kefir Biscuits have twice the protein and fiber as the same size biscuit made with wheat flour.
Buttermilk biscuits are the gold standard for biscuits. Is there anything more comforting that a warm, fresh-from-the-oven buttermilk biscuit? I think not! Even the name – the way it rolls off your tongue – conjures up feelings of happiness and contentment. Initially, I planned to make these biscuits with buttermilk but then noticed I had some kefir leftover in my fridge from my Apricot Ginger Turmeric Smoothie post. Suddenly a light-bulb went off – perhaps I could substitute kefir for buttermilk as they both have a similar consistency and a tangy taste. To my delight it worked! Chickpea Cheddar Kefir Biscuits are so delicious and taste just as decadent as a traditional buttermilk biscuit.
Chickpea Cheddar Kefir Biscuits are best eaten the same day they’re made. If you don’t eat all of them the day they’re baked, package them up in a zip lock baggie and store them in the freezer. Then you can pull them out individually as needed and reheat them in a 400-degree oven for about 10-15 minutes.
Chickpea Cheddar Kefir Biscuits are a great accompaniment to any meal but they make exceptional breakfast biscuits alongside an omelet or scrambled eggs. Yum!
- 2½ cups (10½ ounces) chickpea flour (garbanzo bean flour)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon herbs de provence or other savory seasoning
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup kefir (whole milk, unsweetened)
- 1½ cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped (white and light green parts)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Whisk together the chickpea flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and seasoning.
- Add the butter and, using a pastry blender or two knives, cut it in until the mixture is crumbly. Add the kefir, cheese, and scallions and stir until well combined.
- Drop mounds of batter onto the baking sheets using a 1½ ounce ice cream scoop or a ¼ cup measure. Flatten each mound slightly so that all the biscuits are the same thickness. (Wet your fingers if necessary to prevent sticking.)
- Bake on the bottom racks of the oven for 12-15 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!