It’s hard to believe that a dish as simple as Chickpea Spinach Salad can be so delicious – it contains only a handful of ingredients and takes just minutes to prepare. If eating healthy is on your list of resolutions for the new year, then you’ll want to add this nutritious salad to your cooking repertoire.
Spinach and Chickpeas are nutrient dense super foods that contribute to good health. Spinach is known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer benefits as well as its high concentration of antioxidants. The humble chickpea packs a powerful nutritional punch as well. Chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) are high in protein and fiber and are thought to lower cholesterol, boost immunity, aid in weight loss, improve digestive health, and protect against certain types of cancer. Just one serving of Chickpea Spinach Salad provides 7 grams of fiber, which is nearly one third of the recommended daily allowance.
Wrap some Chickpea Spinach Salad in pita pockets or flatbread to make a delicious sandwich, or serve it with pita chips as tapas.
Consider making Chickpea Spinach Salad one of your recipe staples because of its versatility. It can be a light but satisfying main meal, an easy and colorful side dish, or a healthy and casual appetizer – the choice is yours and everyone you serve it to is sure to love it!
- 7 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 – 29 ounce can of chickpeas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, ribs removed, and chopped - medium dice
- 1½ Tablespoons finely chopped scallion (white and light green parts)
- Juice of 1 lemon - about ¼ cup
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl combine the spinach, chickpeas, bell pepper, and scallions.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper and pour over the chickpea/spinach mixture. Toss to evenly coat.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!