A clean-eating twist on classic chocolate chip cookies made with gluten-free chickpea flour. JUMP TO RECIPE
According to this article, the most popular cookie recipe of all-time is chocolate chip. No surprise really. Hardly anybody can resist the melt-in-your-mouth goodness of a warm from the oven chocolate chip cookie with a glass of cold milk on the side for optional dipping. It’s hard to imagine a more comforting snack, unless of course, it’s a healthier version of this iconic treat! Enter Chocolate Chunk Chickpea Tahini Cookie Tarts – a clean-eating twist on classic chocolate chip cookies made with gluten-free chickpea flour and flavored with dark chocolate and tahini. After just one bite you’ll be shaking your head in disbelief and wondering aloud how you ever lived without these cookies!
Whenever I attempt to remake a recipe in order to make it healthier, I almost always lean toward gluten-free ingredients and for baking this mean choosing a flour. One of my favorite gluten-free flours is chickpea flour, also knows as garbanzo bean flour. It’s an all-natural, grain-free flour made by grinding dried chickpeas into a fine powder. It’s inexpensive, high in protein and fiber (compared to wheat flour), and works great in baking recipes such as this one for Chocolate Chunk Chickpea Tahini Cookie Tarts.
I’m a lazy baker when it comes to making cookies. That’s why I opted for Chocolate Chunk Chickpea Tahini Cookie “Tarts” instead of 16, individual, drop-and- bake cookies. It’s a time saver because all you have to do is divide the dough in half and press it into two 8-inch cake pans. Another plus is that when the cookie tarts are cut into wedges (i.e. cookies), they look a little fancier, especially when topped with ice cream or whipped cream.
For more recipes using chickpea flour check out: Chickpea Cheddar Tots, Chickpea Cheddar Kefir Biscuits, Chickpea Pretzels, and Chickpea Waffle Tacos.
If you make Chocolate Chunk Chickpea Tahini Cookie Tarts don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me over on Instagram @QueenofMyKitchen. I’d love to see your creation!
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1½ cups chickpea flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (128 grams) tahini
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3½ ounces dark chocolate chunks (use dairy free chocolate to make these tarts dairy free)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and brush two 8-inch round cake pans with some of the coconut oil.
- Whisk together the chickpea flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the tahini, eggs, vanilla and remaining coconut oil. Stir until well combined. Fold in the dark chocolate chunks.
- Press half of the mixture into each of the cake pans. (It will be quite oily, which is normal.)
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 12 minutes.
- Let cool before removing from the pans and cutting each tart into 8 wedges.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SAVE ONE OF THESE IMAGES TO PINTEREST!