A lighter, cleaner version of classic apple crisp made with crispy brown rice cereal. Gluten-free.
Crisp Rice Apple Crumble is a gluten-free version of apple crisp made with crispy brown rice cereal. Unlike traditional apple crisp, this delicious dessert actually contains a “crispy” ingredient! There’s no wheat flour in this recipe, but there are oats so if you adhere to a strictly gluten-free diet be sure to use gluten-free oats. Many people are confused about whether or not oats are gluten-free. The confusion arises because while oats are not a gluten containing grain, they are usually processed along with wheat, rye, and barley, and, as a result, are cross contaminated with gluten. Therefore, if you have celiac disease or any type of gluten intolerance, it’s best to avoid oats that are not certified gluten-free.
This time of year, when apples are in abundant supply, I keep a big batch of this streusel-like topping in my freezer so that I can pull together a Crisp Rice Apple Crumble in a matter of minutes and let it bake while my family and I are having dinner. Crispy Brown Rice Cereal is widely available at most major grocery stores. I like a brand called Erewhon but there are other brands as well.
This recipe for Crisp Rice Apple Crumble is just a guide. You can vary the amount of topping and size of the apple pieces to suit your preference. For a more decadent, deep dish apple crumble, use a larger casserole dish with high sides, such as an oval gratin dish. Then, cut the apples into thick slices or larger chunks, and cover with a generous amount of topping. (Add 5-10 minutes to the baking time for larger apple pieces.) When serving, don’t forget the ice cream. Crisp Rice Apple Crumble would not be complete without a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!
For a lighter dessert, make individual Crisp Rice Apple Crumble in mini tart pans or ramekins, and serve them with whipped cream instead of ice cream. This recipe works well with frozen berries too, so when apple season is over, make Crisp Rice Berry Crumble instead!
- CRISP RICE CRUMBLE TOPPING
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1½ cups crisp brown rice cereal
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 large apples peeled, cored, and chopped into ½ inch pieces (should yield 5 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the coconut sugar with the butter in a medium bowl and, using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the sugar until it resembles small pebbles. Add the remaining topping ingredients and combine thoroughly.
- Place the apples in a 10-inch round pie plate or tart pan. Cover with 3 cups of the topping, spreading it evenly over the apples. (You’ll have some topping leftover.) Place on a baking sheet (to catch any juices), and bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 30 minutes.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!