Are you a french fry lover? That’s a silly question – who doesn’t love french fries! They’re the quintessential comfort food, perfect for sharing, and an ideal accompaniment to almost any dish. Unfortunately they’re usually deep fried in factory refined oil, making them not a very healthy food choice. Crispy Parmesan Potato Bits are a little bit of french fry heaven without the toxins imparted by deep fat frying. A thin layer of olive oil and high oven heat are all that’s needed to form a super crispy crust on these little potato gems. They’re cleaner and healthier tasting than commercial french fries and the parmesan adds a salty, mildly cheesy flavor that makes them extra delicious. They take a little patience to make as the total roasting time is 1 hour but it is well worth the wait!
The prep for this recipe is so simple. You don’t even need to peel the potatoes – just give them a good scrubbing under cold running water to remove any dirt and then cut them into 1/2 inch cubes. Here’s a good method for doing that:
I know these look like hash browns but their texture is completely different. They’re uber crunchy on the outside and pleasantly chewy on the inside.
Serve Crispy Parmesan Potato Bits with Chive Sour Cream (recipe below) and/or Roasted Garlic Ketchup.
- 3 large russet/baking potatoes (about 2 ½ lbs. total) unpeeled, scrubbed clean, and diced into ½ in. cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely grated parmesan cheese
- CHIVE SOUR CREAM
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chives – fresh or dried
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place the potatoes on a silicone lined baking sheet. Toss with the olive oil, salt, and pepper until the potatoes are evenly coated.
- Roast on the bottom rack of the oven for a 1 hour stirring thoroughly after each 20 minute interval until the potatoes are golden brown and crispy throughout.
- Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and serve with Chive Sour Cream or Roasted Garlic Ketchup.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!