“Candy is dandy” as in these easy to make dairy free chocolate treats sweetened with maple syrup. JUMP TO RECIPE
Valentine’s Day is coming up and if you love classic holiday traditions then maybe you’re planning to give your loved ones some chocolates. If so, why not earn extra bonus points and “make” instead of “buy” them. These Dairy Free Crispy Chocolate Cups are a great homemade Valentine’s gift and you can whip them up quickly without any special equipment. All you need is a handful of simple ingredients and some cupcake liners.
More and more people these days are avoiding dairy products. There’s been a sharp rise in all types of food allergies over the past few decades and dairy products are among the types of food responsible for the dramatic increase. (Check out this article on why the world is becoming more allergic to food.) Lots of people are avoiding dairy for less serious reasons too, like adhering to a particular diet (Paleo diets prohibit dairy), or because they believe dairy makes their skin break-out. If you or someone you love is one of these individuals then most chocolate is off-limits as it contains milk and/or milk products. No worries – Dairy Free Crispy Chocolate Cups will come to the rescue and satisfy even the most intense chocolate cravings!
Dairy Free Crispy Chocolate Cups are made with this brand of crisp brown rice cereal which is my favorite because it’s gluten-free and sweetened naturally, with brown rice syrup. If you can’t find this brand you can substitute the more widely available Kellogg’s Rice Krispies.
Here are links to some other recipes for healthier, homemade chocolate treats: Healthy Salted Caramel Chocolate Hearts, Guilt Free Chocolate Pecan Turtles, Chocolate Red Wine Black Bean Fudge Cake with Greek Yogurt Cabernet Glaze, Mini Chocolate Avocado Oil Valentine Cakes with Raspberry Chia Filling, and Chocolate Thin Mint Avocado Pudding.
If you make Dairy Free Crispy Chocolate Cups don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me over on Instagram @QueenofMyKitchen. I’d love to see your creation!
- ¾ cup (1 ounce) crisp brown rice cereal
- ⅓ cup (75 grams) coconut oil
- ⅓ (27 grams) cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners OR place twelve cupcake liners on a quarter sheet pan.
- Place 1 tablespoon of crisp brown rice cereal in the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave in a small glass or over a pot of simmering water. (Melting in the microwave can take anywhere from 30 seconds to one minute or more depending on your microwave and the ambient temperature.)
- Add the cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt. Stir with a fork until the cocoa powder is dissolved and the ingredients are well combined. (The mixture should be warm to the touch and stir easily. If it seems too thick, stick it back in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up.)
- Drizzle the mixture over the crisp rice cereal. Pour just enough of the chocolate mixture in each cupcake liner to barely cover the cereal.
- Transfer to the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to set/harden.
- Peel off the cupcake liners just prior to serving.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Nutrition Information - Serving size: 1 cup, Calories: 90, Fat: 7g, Saturated fat: 6g, Unsaturated fat: 1g, Trans fat: 0g, Carbohydrates: 9g, Sugar: 5g, Sodium: 2mg, Fiber: 0g, Protein: 1g, Cholesterol: 0mg
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SAVE ONE OF THESE IMAGES TO PINTEREST!