If you like granola and you like muffins then you will LOVE these Gluten-Free Blueberry Almond Granola Muffins! They’re full of super healthy ingredients like almond meal, avocado oil, and fresh blueberries. Unlike some muffins, which can be dry and crumbly, these muffins are tender and moist with a subtle earthy quality due to the addition of granola. There is something magical about the combination of blueberries and almonds (or in this case almond meal) – these ingredients complement each other so perfectly. Maple syrup is the primary sweetener in these muffins and the recipe calls for only 2 tablespoons, so at first bite you might think they are not sweet enough. In fact each muffin has just 8 grams of sugar. That’s a very low sugar content when you consider that some blueberry muffins contain as much as 44 grams of sugar. However, this lower sugar content allows the most intense blueberry flavor to shine through. Trust me – you will see what I mean once you try these! You can use any kind of gluten-free granola for this recipe but choose one without added oil if possible.
I thought these muffins would be great for breakfast or a snack but last night my husband had one for dessert with some whipped cream. I had a bite and it was definitely dessert-worthy. I’m thinking next time we’ll try vanilla ice cream on top.
This recipe calls for avocado oil but if you don’t have avocado oil or can’t find it try substituting melted coconut oil. I definitely wouldn’t substitute vegetable oil or canola oil though. These muffins are so clean and healthy – don’t ruin it by adding factory refined oil to them.
After I make a batch I usually store Gluten-Free Blueberry Almond Granola Muffins in a zip lock bag in the freezer and pull them out individually the night before we plan to eat them.
Who can resist fresh blueberries peeking out of a muffin!
- 2 ½ cups (250g) almond meal (finely ground) or almond flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup gluten free granola
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together the almond flour/meal, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and granola.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the apple sauce, avocado oil, eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until blended.
- Fold in the fresh blueberries.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Bake in the bottom third of the oven for 25 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool for a few minutes in the muffin pan before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!