A single layer cake you can throw together lightening quick. Versatile enough to be served as a snack, dessert, or even breakfast! JUMP TO RECIPE
Most of us wait for special occasions to make a cake simply because cakes made from scratch are a little labor intensive, but I’m a big fan of simple, every day cakes – single layer cakes you can make at a moment’s notice that don’t require frosting or glaze and are versatile enough to be served as a snack, dessert, or even breakfast – cakes like this Gluten-Free Orange Almond Cake! It can be thrown together lightening quick with ingredients you may already have on hand and takes only about 20 minutes to bake. Now that’s my kind of cake!
Gluten-free baking has really evolved over the past decade as more and more food manufacturers have answered the call for alternatives to all-purpose flour. There are now many good gluten-free substitutes for wheat flour available and more coming on the market everyday it seems. I love many of the gluten-free flour blends for baking but I’m partial to almond flour for its purity and the simplicity with which it can be made, not to mention the taste and texture it delivers in baked goods such as this Gluten-Free Orange Almond Cake.
Almond flour is quite pricey compared to all purpose wheat flour but if you buy it in bulk you can save money. You can also make you own almond flour by grinding raw almonds into a fine, flour-like consistency with a high-powered blender or food processor. Check out this tutorial for more information and then get to work making this mouth-watering Gluten-Free Orange Almond Cake!
Slices of Gluten-Free Orange Almond Cakes are delicious on their own but to make them even more decadent top with vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream. Yum! Here are links to some other tasty treats made with almond flour Almond Flour Cranberry Sauce Muffins, Paleo Apple Zucchini Spice Cake, Almond Flour Scotch Blondies, Vegan Almond Flour Cookie Tarts, Almond Oat Cups, and Honey Almond Shortbread.
If you make Gluten-Free Orange Almond Cake don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me over on Instagram @QueenofMyKitchen. I’d love to see your creation!
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup (5 ounces) almond flour
- ¼ cup (1½ ounces) coconut sugar
- ¼ cup (37 grams) gluten-free flour (see notes #1)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 can mandarin oranges (10 or 11 ounces), drained
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) raw, sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9-inch spring form pan (with removable bottom) with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the almond flour, coconut sugar, gluten-free flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the eggs and maple syrup. Drizzle in the melted butter in a slow steady stream and combine all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Pour batter into pan and arrange the sliced almonds and mandarin oranges decoratively on top.
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool before cutting.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SAVE ONE OF THESE IMAGES TO PINTEREST!