Make these soft, delicious, homemade bagels with just a handful of ingredients in about 30 minutes. Gluten-free too!
Bagels are very time-consuming to make at home. You have to mix up a yeast-based dough, give it plenty of time to rise, shape the dough into bagels, and then dunk each one into simmering water. And that’s all before you even bake them! It’s quite a production and can take several hours. So, when I discovered a way to make homemade bagels with just a few ingredients in about half an hour, it was a game-changer. These Kefir Sesame Egg Bagels are a quick, delicious substitute for traditional bagels and they’re gluten-free.
Most of the recipes you’ll come across for this type of no-yeast bagel call for yogurt as an ingredient, but I decided to use kefir for Kefir Sesame Egg Bagels – here’s why. Kefir is similar to yogurt, they’re both tart and tangy milk products, however, kefir is fermented much longer than yogurt so it has many more probiotics – the live bacteria and yeasts that are so beneficial for gut health. Kefir also tends to have a bit of a yeast flavor which works well in these bagels. I’m a huge fan of kefir and use it in lots of the recipes I develop. It’s high in protein, calcium, and Vitamin D, and has a slightly effervescent quality which is why some people call it the “Champagne of Dairy”. Check out Avocado Kefir Caesar Salad Dressing, Kefir Avocado Basil Dressing, Chickpea Cheddar Kefir Biscuits, and Apricot Ginger Turmeric Smoothie.
Kefir Sesame Egg Bagels are awesome toasted and topped with cream cheese and jam. You can also use them for sandwiches or as a stand-in for dinner rolls with an olive oil dipping sauce on the side. Slather them with almond butter, top with a poached egg, or make a pizza bagel – the number of yummy possibilities are endless!
Kefir Sesame Egg Bagels taste best the day they’re made so if you don’t eat them right away, cut them in half and store them in a zip-lock bag in the freezer. You can throw them in the toaster/toaster oven directly from the freezer, which works great for busy weekday mornings.
Kefir Sesame Egg Bagels
- 1¼ cups (185 grams) gluten-free flour (see notes)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened whole milk kefir
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine the gluten-free baking flour, kefir, egg, salt, and baking powder.
- Stir until a soft, smooth dough comes together. Gather the dough into a big ball, coat it with the olive oil, and then divide it into three, round pieces weighing about 4 ounces each.
- Poke a hole in the center of each and place them on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake in the bottom third of the oven for 25-30 minutes until just starting to brown.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
I’m linking up with Deborah at ConfessionsofaMotherRunner.com and Sarah at AWhiskandTwoWands.com for Meatless Monday. Be sure to check out the other posts from my fellow bloggers!