A light, healthy, and delicious meal that’s a great alternative to traditional shrimp scampi. Packed with protein and fiber!
In terms of versatility and ease of preparation, shrimp can’t be beat, which is why I always have a big bag of it in my freezer. Lemony Shrimp with White Beans and Farro is one of my favorite ways to use shrimp. This recipe makes a fantastic weeknight dinner, but it’s also fancy enough for entertaining. I served it on Christmas Eve this year, doubling the recipe to feed the crowd I had on hand. Everybody loved it, and because it was so quick and easy I had ample time to spend with the friends and family who’d come to visit.
Lemony Shrimp with White Beans and Farro is similar to classic shrimp scampi but instead of being served with pasta or rice, the shrimp are paired with white beans and farro. The lemony shrimp with fresh parsley is bright and fresh, nicely balancing the rustic, earthy flavors of the white beans and farro.
The combination of farro and white beans in Lemony Shrimp with White Beans and Farro is what makes this a stellar dish, not just from a taste standpoint, but from a nutritional one as well. Farro is an ancient wheat grain that has been a staple of Italian cooking for hundreds of years. It’s got a wonderful nutty taste and texture, similar to risotto, which makes it the perfect accompaniment to any number of dishes usually served with pasta or rice. White beans (also known as cannellini beans or white kidney beans), by contrast, have a silky-smooth texture. Unlike pasta and rice, which have very little fiber, white beans and farro are packed with fiber. One serving of Lemony Shrimp with White Beans and Farro delivers 17g of fiber, which is nearly 70% of the recommended daily intake.
When all the ingredients are prepped ahead of time, Lemony Shrimp with White Beans and Farro can be on the dinner table in about 10 minutes! Here’s how – peel and devein the shrimp, chop up the parsley and scallions, squeeze the lemon juice (and cut another lemon into wedges), drain and rinse the beans, and make the farro. Store everything in the refrigerator until you’re ready to make the dish. Then simply reheat the farro and follow the recipe as written starting at step 2. Enjoy!
- 1 cup farro
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 scallions, chopped (white and light green parts)
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-19 ounce can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Cook farro according to package directions.
- While farro is cooking heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and scallions and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the shrimp and cook, until they begin to turn pink on both sides and are cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, parsley, lemon juice, remaining butter (2 tablespoons), salt, and pepper. Cook until the butter is melted and the mixture is heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Spoon the farro into shallow bowls and top with the shrimp and beans.
- Served with shaved Parmesan cheese and lemon wedges.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!