It may be winter but that doesn’t mean you can’t grill! Make these deliciously savory burgers in your oven, complete with gorgeous grill marks!
Grilled burgers are one of the best things that summer has to offer. In my family, we stretch the grilling season out as long as possible – through the fall and into early winter – but by the time January rolls around our grill, and the deck it sits on, is usually covered with snow and ice so outdoor cooking is out of the question. I’ve tried grilling burgers indoors using a stove top grill pan but it smoked up my kitchen so much that the fire alarm went off. Man, that thing is loud! After that, I started oven grilling my burgers and have never looked back. Oven grilling is so much easier and it won’t leave your kitchen in a haze of smoke. The method for oven grilling that I outline in the recipe at the end of this post works with any type of burger, but if you’re looking for something a little different try Oven Grilled Boursin Chicken Burgers. They’re deliciously savory and a nice alternative to traditional beef burgers.
To get good sear marks on Oven Grilled Boursin Chicken Burgers, preheat a well-oiled, empty, cast iron grill pan for at least 20 minutes on the bottom rack of a 400-degree oven. Getting the pan nice and hot before you pop the burgers in will ensure beautiful grill marks.
It’s the Boursin cheese in Oven Grilled Boursin Chicken Burgers that gives them such great flavor. Boursin cheese comes in a several flavors. I used the original flavor (garlic and fine herbs) but any of the other flavors (pepper, shallot & chive, red chili pepper, cranberry spice, basil & chive) would also taste great. Contrary to what most people think, “Boursin” is a brand name and is actually a registered trademark. Boursin cheese has become so well-known, however, that most of us think of it simply as a type of cheese, which is a testament to how popular and beloved it has become since it was first introduced by French cheesemaker Francois Boursin back in 1957.
You can top Oven Grilled Boursin Chicken Burgers with anything you would normally put on a burger. I like tomato, lettuce, and avocado, along with some Roasted Garlic Ketchup as a condiment. And don’t forget some dill pickles on the side! After trying these burgers you’ll be missing summer-time grilling just a little bit less!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 - 5.2 ounce package of Boursin cheese (with garlic and fine herbs)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves
- ¼ cup ketchup
- Place the ground chicken and onion in a mixing bowl. Drop chunks of the Boursin cheese throughout the mixing bowl using 2 teaspoons. (This will ensure the Boursin in evenly distributed.) Mix thoroughly, form into 4 patties, and freeze.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a cast iron grill pan with olive oil cooking spray.
- Heat the empty cast iron skillet for 20-30 minutes on the bottom rack of the oven.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and place two of the frozen patties in the grill pan.
- Roast on the bottom rack of the oven for a total of 20 minutes, flipping the patties over halfway through the cooking time. Repeat with the remaining 2 patties.
- Serve with toppings on hamburger buns.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!