I’m not a fan of party appetizers that are messy or awkward to eat – the kind that drip and break apart after the first bite and leave you awkwardly cupping your hand under your chin to catch the falling food debris, all while trying to maintain your composure and simultaneously engage in cocktail chatter. That’s one of the reasons I love this appetizer. It’s not crumbly and is easy to eat with one hand, lest you not have to put down your drink! These are fancy enough to serve to company but simple enough to make for yourself – just to nosh on. So if your kids are getting tired of those mozzarella sticks that you put in their lunch boxes, and you have a few extra lying around, try making these. They take less than 10 minutes to prepare and make a great 100 calorie snack – with 10 grams of protein too. They’d also be a great addition to an antipasto platter.
The right balance of colors on a plate can rouse the senses before even the first morsel of food is put into your mouth. We taste with our eyes first. This salad is a perfect example of how just seeing a dish can fire up your taste buds and ready them for a delicious meal. Whenever I’m serving an entree that’s lacking in color I can always count on this salad’s bright and vivid ingredients to make an otherwise bland looking plate come alive. Using the peppers as a serving vessel provides an extra pop of color and makes beautiful presentation.
If you prefer, you can serve this salad without the pepper cups, as pictured above. In this case, you’ll only need 1 orange bell pepper for the recipe.
BLACK BEAN SALAD IN PEPPER CUPS
Author: QUEEN OF MY KITCHEN
Recipe type: Salads
- 2 (15 ½ oz.) cans black beans
- 1 pint cherry (or grape) tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, preferably Hass, cut into ½-inch dice
- 4 bell peppers – red, green, orange, and yellow
- 8 ounces frozen corn
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (white part and green parts)
- 3 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons organic blue agave
- cilantro (optional garnish)
- Place the frozen corn in a microwave safe container, microwave on high for one minute, and then blot with a paper towel to remove excess water. Set aside to cool completely.
- Make the lime citrus vinaigrette. In a small bowl whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, agave, cumin, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut the top off of each of the four peppers. Remove the stems, ribs and seeds from each pepper and then chop the tops only.
- Rinse and drain the black beans and add to a big bowl along with the chopped pepper tops, corn, avocado, grape tomatoes, and scallions.
- Re-whisk the lime vinaigrette and pour over the black bean mixture. Combine thoroughly.
- Spoon some of the black bean salad into each of the four peppers and garnish with cilantro if desired.
Serves 4 in the pepper cups with an additional 10 - 6 oz. servings. If you don't want to serve the salad in pepper cups simply eliminate all of the peppers except for the orange bell pepper. Then chop the whole orange pepper (in lieu of 4 pepper tops) and present the entire salad in a serving dish. Honey or maple syrup may be substituted for the organic blue agave.
Serving size: 6 ounces, Calories: 166, Fat: 6g, Saturated fat: 1g, Unsaturated fat: 5g, Trans fat: 0g, Carbohydrates: 24g, Sugar: 4g, Sodium: 161mg, Fiber: 6g, Protein: 6g, Cholesterol: 0mg
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!