A healthy, festive treat for any patriotic holiday. Great for parties. JUMP TO RECIPE
I am the worst planner and someone who often waits until the last minute to get things done. These Paleo Patriotic Teacakes, perfect for the 4th of July, are a case in point. Any food blogger knows that holiday recipes need to be posted at least a couple of months ahead of time but I am just now getting around to publishing this – right under the wire! The good news is these teacakes are simple to make so even if you’ve already planned your July 4th menu you can quickly throw these together and, with the exception of the strawberry fruit leather, you probably already have what you need to make them in your pantry right now, especially if you follow a paleo diet.
I had a surplus of strawberries last week because I knew the local strawberries were coming to an end so I was a little bit of a hoarder and ended up with way too many. Instead of freezing them I made strawberry fruit leather and then had the idea to stamp star shapes out of the leather and use them for a July 4th recipe. And that’s how these Paleo Patriotic Teacakes were born! My chief gluten-free taste tester (oldest daughter) gave these rave reviews.
If you’re short on time, feel free to use store bought fruit leather, (also known as fruit roll-ups) in place of homemade fruit leather for the stars but just know that if you do, these Paleo Patriotic Teacakes will not officially be “paleo” as commercially made fruit roll-ups are highly processed and often contain partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil along with artificial colors and other undesirable ingredients. Making your own fruit leather is easy and so much healthier. I included instructions in the notes section of the recipe below and there are tons of tutorials on line. Here’s a good one.
When you’re making the stars for Paleo Patriotic Teacakes be sure to press down firmly on the mini star cookie cutter, twisting it back and forth slightly so that it permeates through to the other side. If you have trouble stamping all the way through, or don’t have a mini star shaped cookie cutter, you can use clean scissors to cut out the star shapes. This would be a fun job for the kids. And, while you’re at it, cut out extra stars and use them to decorate the rims of your 4th of July plates and serving platters. If you’re looking for more July 4th food ideas see my recipes for Berry Patriotic Yogurt Parfait and A Berry Patriotic Salad with Gluten-Free Star Croutons. Hope you have an awesome holiday with lots of healthy, delicious food!
If you make Paleo Patriotic Teacakes don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me over on Instagram @QueenofMyKitchen. I’d love to see your creation!
- ½ cup (2 ounces) super fine blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Strawberry fruit leather (recipe in notes)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a 6-cavity muffin pan with paper liners.
- Combine the almond flour, avocado oil, egg, coconut sugar, vanilla, baking soda and salt. Mix until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups, placing about 1 ounce of batter in each. (IMPORTANT - The batter should only come halfway up the liner.)
- Bake for 15 minutes on the bottom rack of the oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of one teacake comes out clean.
- While the teacakes are baking stamp/cut 6 star shapes out of the fruit leather using a 1-inch mini cookie cutter or clean scissors.
- Once cooled, peel off the liners and place a fruit leather star on top of each. (If the stars don’t stick on securely enough, moisten the backs with a dab of water and gently press them on the tops.)
• 4 cups (about 1 lb.) strawberries, stems removed
• 2 teaspoons orange juice or lemon juice
• 2 teaspoons maple syrup
Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and line a half sheet pan with a silicone baking mat.
Purée the ingredients in a blender or food processor and spread it out into one thin even layer on the silicone baking mat.
Bake for 6 hours or until the mixture has turned into leather and is no longer sticky. (Start checking it after 4 hours.)
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SAVE IT TO PINTEREST!