Golden delicious breaded chicken cutlets made gluten-free with rice crumbs. JUMP TO RECIPE
Everyone needs a few “go-to” recipes in their cooking repertoire. I’m talking about the kind of recipes you’ll turn to over and over again because they’re easy to master and produce dishes that everybody loves. It helps if they’re versatile, and can be made ahead of time too, because then they’ll be perfect for buffet style dining and casual entertaining and will be the first thing you offer up when someone asks you to bring food to a gathering. These Parmesan Rice Crusted Chicken Cutlets are THAT dish! They’re similar to classic breaded chicken cutlets but because they’re not dredged in flour, or coated with bread crumbs, they’re gluten-free.
Rice crumbs take the place of bread crumbs in this recipe for Parmesan Rice Crusted Chicken Cutlets and work perfectly to form a crispy, golden delicious crust. Rice crumbs are a relatively new food product. I first spotted them at Trader Joe’s a few years back and was excited to find a less processed alternative to gluten-free bread crumbs. Most brands of gluten-free bread crumbs contain enzymes, starches, refined oils, added sugar, and other undesirable ingredients. In contrast, there’s only one ingredient in Trader Joe’s Rice Crumbs – ground puffed white rice. That’s what I call a “clean” ingredient!
Parmesan Rice Crusted Chicken Cutlets are so versatile. They’re delicious on their own with a little squeeze of lemon on top, but for an added flavor boost, serve them with Basil Cashew Pesto or Blue Cheese Rosemary Greek Yogurt Sauce. You can also use them to make sandwiches, chicken parmesan, or chicken Caesar salad. There’s so many yummy possibilities!
For other chicken recipes check out: Creamy Maple Mustard Mascarpone Chicken, Slow Cooker Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breasts, Crispy Brown Rice Chicken Fingers, Oven Grilled Boursin Chicken Burgers, and Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken with Roasted Garlic.
If you make Parmesan Rice Crusted Chicken Cutlets don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me over on Instagram @QueenofMyKitchen. I’d love to see your creation!
- 4 or 5 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, about 3 lbs. total
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup +2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2¼ cups (9½ ounces) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup rice crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place each chicken breast on a cutting board and hold it flat with the palm of your non-knife hand. Using a sharp knife (preferably a fillet knife) slice the chicken breast horizontally into two even pieces. You’ll end up with a total of 8-10 chicken cutlets. (See notes below.)
- In a large shallow dish whisk together the eggs, Dijon mustard, ¼ cup olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Lay the chicken cutlets in the dish and coat each with the egg mixture. Give each cutlet a few pokes/punctures with a fork to allow the seasonings in the egg mixture to better permeate the meat. Let marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.
- Combine the parmesan cheese and rice crumbs in another large shallow dish. Melt 2 teaspoons of butter along with 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large, good quality, non-stick skillet over medium high heat. One by one lay the chicken cutlets in the parmesan/rice crumb mixture. Spoon the parmesan/rice crumbs over the top and press the mixture VERY firmly into each cutlet with the back of the spoon. Lift the cutlet out of the dish with a fork and gently shake off the excess crumbs before placing in the hot skillet.
- Cook the cutlets 4-5 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SAVE ONE OF THESE IMAGES TO PINTEREST!