When I developed this recipe I wanted it to be as colorful as possible so I called upon the mnemonic device we used in grade school to remember the colors in a rainbow – Roy G. Biv – red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet. If you look closely at this salad you’ll see that the array of whole foods used in this recipe represents all the colors in that mystical spectrum of light. I’m counting the flecks of cabbage in the broccoli slaw for indigo and violet – maybe that’s cheating a bit but the important thing to remember about this salad is that it is beautiful, healthy, AND delicious. Save this recipe to make for your first picnic or backyard barbeque of the season.
Microwave the frozen corn and peas on high for about 2 minutes, stirring, and checking their temperature after each 30 second interval. You want to defrost them but not heat them through. Once they are at room temperature, blot away any excess water with a clean paper towel. If don’t own a microwave, or don’t want to use one, simply leave the peas and corn out on your counter, at room temperature, until they are completely defrosted.
I usually use grape tomatoes for this salad but you could substitute cherry tomatoes, just make sure you cut them into bite size pieces. My grape tomatoes were kind of big the day I made this salad so I cut them into quarters. Once they are cut up add them to the bowl of peas and corn and set aside while you make the vinegariette.
You can use whatever kind of light colored balsamic vinegar you like in the vinegariette. The orange blossom honey balsamic vinegar used here works well in this recipe and lends a subtle sweetness and pleasing citrus flavor to the dressing.
Now add the broccoli slaw, orange bell pepper, blueberries, almonds, and scallions to the bowl of peas, corn, and tomatoes.
Remix the vinegariette and pour over the broccoli slaw mixture. Stir everything up thoroughly and watch the rainbow appear!
- ½ cup/4 oz. frozen peas
- ½ cup/4 oz. frozen corn
- 1 ½ cups/8 oz. grape or cherry tomatoes, halved if large, quartered if small
- 1 – 12 ounce package broccoli slaw
- 1 medium orange pepper, seeded, ribs removed, and chopped
- ½ cup/3 oz. dried blueberries
- ½ cup/2.5 oz. chopped almonds, toasted
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, white part and tips of green part
- 3 ounces olive oil
- 1 ounce orange blossom honey balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a glass bowl, microwave the frozen corn and peas on high for about 2 minutes to defrost, stirring after each 30 second interval. Blot away any excess water with a paper towel and set aside while you prepare the vinegariette.
- Whisk together the olive oil, orange blossom honey balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Add the broccoli slaw, tomatoes, orange pepper, blueberries, almonds, and scallions to the corn and peas. Remix the vinegariette, pour over the broccoli slaw mixture and combine thoroughly.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!