If you’re an avid baker chances are you own a madeleine pan. Madeleines are petite French butter cakes that are baked in a pan with shell shaped cavities, giving them a distinctive shape. I came across my madeleine pan the other day and considered getting rid of it because I haven’t used it in so long. Perhaps as a way to justify keeping it I started pondering what else I could make using this classic French baking pan. And then it came to me – fruit and nut snack bars! I’ve aptly named these delicious, healthy treats Snack Bar Madeleines.
Snack Bar Madeleines are similar to KIND Bars but don’t contain ingredients such as vegetable glycerin and soy lecithin. Snack Bar Madeleines are simple to make and only require 15 minutes of baking time.
Grease the pan well to ensure easy removal of the Snack Bar Madeleines. A non-stick pan would work great for this recipe but I would still coat the cavities with coconut oil as the mixture is quite sticky and would probably adhere even to a non-stick pan that was not well-greased.
The shell shaped cavities in a madeleine pan are the perfect snack-size portion. An ice cream scoop (1½ ounce size) works well for portioning the mixture into the pan. If you don’t own an ice cream scoop simply fill each cavity with about 2 Tablespoons of the fruit and nut mixture. As you fill each cavity press the mixture down lightly (with the spoon or ice cream scoop) so that it is more or less even with the top/flat surface of the pan.
After they’re finished baking remove the Snack Bar Madeleines using the tip of a spoon. As long as you greased the pan well they will pop right out.
It’s so important to have nutritious snacks on hand in between meals so that we’re not tempted to reach for processed junk food. Keep a few Snack Bar Madeleines in the car, at your desk, and in your gym bag, to ward off those hunger cravings in the most healthy and delicious way!
- ½ teaspoon melted coconut oil
- ½ cup raw, unsalted pepitas/pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (small/medium chop)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1½ tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush the cavities (there should be 12) of a madeleine pan liberally with the melted coconut oil.
- Combine the remaining ingredients thoroughly and then fill each cavity with about 2 Tablespoons of the mixture, pressing it down lightly so that it is level with the flat/top surface of the pan.
- Bake for 15 on the bottom rack of the oven.
- Let cool completely. Remove the Snack Bar Madeleines from the pan by easing the tip of a spoon underneath each bar. If the pan was well greased they should pop right out without too much effort.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
1 Comment on Snack Bar Madeleines