Twice as much protein, 1/3 less sugar, and four times as much fiber as a regular brownie! A fantastic, healthy dessert!
If you’re a fan of hot and spicy food you’ll LOVE Spicy Cinnamon Sweet Potato Brownies! These gluten-free, vegan brownies contain no refined sugar; instead they’re sweetened with dates, sweet potatoes, and maple syrup. The first bite of Spicy Cinnamon Sweet Potato Brownies is fudgy with sweet, subtle chocolate flavor that is quickly followed by a powerful punch of cinnamon and cayenne. It’s a great combination of flavors that will cause you to completely forget you’re eating a healthy brownie!
A food processor is required to make Spicy Cinnamon Sweet Potato Brownies because the dates must be broken down and distributed throughout the batter. Pouring boiling water over the dates and letting them sit for a few minutes before processing softens them so that your food processor doesn’t have to work so hard. When you line your baking pan make sure the parchment paper goes up the sides of the pan. If you don’t have parchment paper spray the pan liberally with cooking spray.
Spicy Cinnamon Sweet Potato Brownies look very much like regular brownies when you pull them out of the oven except that the interior texture is denser and less cake-like. It’s important to let them cool completely before cutting. This gives them a chance to firm up and ensures they stay intact when cut into squares.
Compared to regular brownies, Spicy Cinnamon Sweet Potato Brownies have twice as much protein, 1/3 less sugar, and four times as much fiber. Serve them on their own or with a scoop of frozen vanilla yogurt on top for a fantastic, healthy, guilt-free, dessert.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes – total weight 1 lb. 5 ounces
- 3½ ounces pitted dates - about 14 large dates
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons ground flax + 6 tablespoons water (vegan egg replacer)
- ¾ cup almond flour - 3 ounces
- ⅔ cup brown rice flour - 3½ ounces
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prick sweet potatoes all over with the tines of a fork and wrap (individually) in aluminum foil. Place them on a sheet pan and bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until they can be easily pierced with a toothpick through the foil. Once the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle remove the aluminum foil and cut away/peel the skin.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and line the bottom and sides of an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Place the dates in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 5 minutes to soften.
- To make the vegan egg replacer, whisk together the ground flax with 6 tablespoons of water and set that aside for 5 minutes as well.
- Put the peeled sweet potatoes in the work bowl of a food processor and blend for 30 seconds until they are fully pureed. Add the dates (along with the water), the flax mixture/vegan egg replacer, and all remaining ingredients. Blend for 1 minute stopping halfway through to scrape down the sides of the work bowl.
- Pour into the pan and bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 50 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!