I received free samples of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Zespri Kiwifruit and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
As a member of The Recipe ReDux healthy food bloggers group I have the opportunity to participate in contests and sponsored posts for some amazing brands. This month I am pleased to showcase a recipe I created for Zespri Kiwifruit – the world leader in premium quality kiwifruit. Each ReDuxer who chose to participate in this contest had to create a dish using SunGold Kiwifruit – a new variety from Zespri. (Links to all the recipes created are at the end of this post.) SunGold Kiwifruit has a beautiful golden interior color and a mildly sweet, tropical taste, absent the slightly tart quality that is characteristic of green kiwifruit. Unlike the green variety of kiwifruit, SunGold Kiwifruit have smooth, hairless skin. SunGold Kiwi Shrimp Cocktail uses this versatile kiwifruit in a tropical inspired shrimp cocktail appetizer. Martini glasses are decoratively lined with thin slices of SunGold Kiwifruit then filled with a cool, creamy, kiwi infused avocado sauce. Chilled, jumbo shrimp are then draped over the edge of the glasses, in classic shrimp cocktail fashion, before being garnished with fresh basil and lime wedges. SunGold Kiwi Shrimp Cocktail is not only delicious and beautiful to look at but is chock-full of super healthy ingredients like Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit, Greek yogurt, avocado, and fresh basil. Each SunGold Kiwi Shrimp Cocktail has a whopping 32 grams of protein and only 286 calories!
SunGold Kiwifruit makes a great portable snack. Simply cut in half and use a spoon to scoop out the fruit. The kiwifruit skin acts as a natural, completely edible, mini serving bowl. Don’t be afraid to eat the skin – consuming the kiwifruit skin is a great way to boost the fiber content of this nutritious fruit. (Be sure to properly wash all produce before consuming.)
Here are a few more surprising facts about SunGold Kiwifruit:
*One serving of SunGold Kiwifruit (2 kiwifruit) has more vitamin C than an orange and is rich in potassium too, providing as much of this important mineral as a medium sized banana.
*You can use pureed SunGold Kiwifruit as a meat tenderizer as it contains an enzyme called actinidin that helps break down protein. Actinidin also stimulates and aids in digestion.
*You can freeze SunGold kiwifruit, the same way you would any other type of fruit or berry, for use in smoothies and frozen drinks or cocktails.
One of the things that make the presentation of SunGold Kiwi Shrimp Cocktail so interesting is that once you spoon the sauce into the kiwifruit lined glasses, some of the kiwifruit appear green, creating the appearance of two-toned kiwi! This adds a nice touch to the beautiful, colorful, and topical feel of the dish.
SunGold Kiwi Shrimp Cocktail is a fun and different way to serve shrimp cocktail. Instead of the harsh bite of a tomato/ketchup based horseradish sauce you’ll instead taste a subtly sweet, creamy kiwifruit avocado sauce with a hint of lime – perfect in which to dip the chilled, jumbo shrimp. This is an incredibly healthy and clean tasting appetizer and a great way to enjoy delicious Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit!
- 20 peeled, cooked, and chilled cocktail shrimp (jumbo or extra jumbo - about 1 lb. total)
- ½ cup Greek yogurt, full fat (about 3½ ounces)
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves (about ½ ounce) + a few extra sprigs for garnish
- 1 ripe avocado (about 5 to 5½ ounces in size), pitted and peeled
- 4 Zespri SunGold Kiwifruits, peeled
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1½ teaspoons avocado oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- As thinly as possible slice 3 of the SunGold Kiwifruit and use them to line four 6-ounce martini glasses by laying them against the inside of the glasses in one layer.
- Place the yogurt, basil, avocado, remaining SunGold Kiwifruit, lime juice, avocado oil, and salt into the work bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.
- Divide the kiwi basil yogurt mixture evenly among the 4 martini glasses.
- Hang 5 shrimp over the edge of each of the martini glasses (tail facing out) and garnish with fresh basil if desired. Serve with lime wedges.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!