A healthy, delicious, whole grain snack that can be ready to eat in under 10 minutes! JUMP TO RECIPE
I believe one of the keys to maintaining a healthy diet is to always have wholesome, nutritious snacks available. Most of the time when we overindulge in unhealthy foods it’s because we’re so hungry that we’ll eat whatever is available at that moment and if there are no healthy choices in front of us, that’s when the trouble begins. There are lots of great options for healthy snacks, but one of the best is good old-fashioned popcorn. Not the kind you get at the movie theatre (read this article to see what’s actually in movie theatre popcorn), and not the kind that comes in microwavable paper packets, (read here about these), but popcorn kernels cooked plain, and then coated with REAL melted butter and seasonings, and maybe even a little bit of unrefined sugar to make it more of a treat than a snack. I’m talking about something like this Sweet and Spicy Chile Lime Popcorn.
Sweet and Spicy Chile Lime Popcorn is a cinch to make and can be ready to eat in under 10 minutes. I cook the popcorn kernels in the microwave, but you can also use the stove-top method. If you make popcorn a lot, I suggest an air popper like this one. Although the microwave oven is probably the easiest way to cook popcorn, be VERY careful. Popcorn and potatoes are the leading cause of fire inside microwave ovens so always use a bowl/container that is marked microwave-safe and never leave the room while the popcorn is cooking. After all the kernels are popped, toss with some melted butter, and a mixture of coconut sugar and chile lime seasoning, and you’ll have a healthy, delicious, whole grain snack – it’s that easy!
Sweet and Spicy Chile Lime Popcorn is definitely healthier than a lot of other popular snack foods but, full disclosure, it’s rather high in sodium. I’m not munching on this popcorn daily – I only enjoy it occasionally – and I don’t have any health issues related to sodium intake, so I always make the recipe as written below, but if you’re uncomfortable with the amount of sodium in this snack, or plan to eat it frequently, just reduce the amount of seasoning. You could use ½ or even ¼ of the amount called for in the recipe and it would still taste great.
Sugar and spice makes everything nice and that is most definitely the case with this Sweet and Spicy Chile Lime Popcorn! Package it up for a grab-and-go snack or make it for movie night and serve it in these fun containers. This is a great snack the whole family will love!
If you make Sweet and Spicy Chile Lime Popcorn don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me over on Instagram @QueenofMyKitchen. I’d love to see your creation!
- ¼ cup popcorn kernels
- 1 tablespoon Chile Lime Seasoning Blend (Trader Joe’s)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Zest of 1 lime and lime wedges (optional)
- Place the kernels in a large microwave safe bowl and cover with a microwave safe top or plate. Microwave on high until the popping slows down to about 4-5 seconds in between pops. Alternatively, use a hot air popper.
- Combine the Chile Lime Seasoning and coconut sugar in a small bowl.
- Push the popcorn off to the side of the bowl and drizzle the melted butter into the bottom of the bowl. Toss thoroughly to coat the popcorn with the butter and sprinkle on the Chile Lime Seasoning. Toss again until the seasoning coats all the popcorn. Sprinkle on the lime zest, if using, and mix again.
- Serve with lime wedges if desired.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SAVE IT TO PINTEREST!