A delicious gluten-free, grab-and-go breakfast treat made with healthy, wholesome ingredients.
If I were the type of food blogger who plans out her posts months in advance and adheres to an editorial calendar, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be posting this recipe for Crispy Brown Rice Breakfast Cookies because earlier this week I published a post that also uses crispy brown rice as a primary ingredient. Really, I should be saving this recipe for a later date, but these cookies are so delicious I simply could not wait to share!
We had a debate in my family about what to call these cookies. My husband was adamant that they not be called ‘breakfast’ cookies because, he insisted, they taste more like a dessert than something you’d eat for breakfast. My daughter and I, however, felt that despite the fact that they’re decadent, the word “breakfast” should be part of the recipe title because the main ingredient is breakfast cereal. I went back and forth with the title because my husband made a good point. Crispy Brown Rice Breakfast Cookies are probably more suitable as a snack or dessert, but I’m a big believer in the concept of moderation and think it’s important that we not be overly strict with our diets. These cookies are made with healthy, wholesome ingredients and while they’re high in fat and calories, they also have a decent amount of fiber and protein, so they’re perfectly acceptable as an occasional grab-and-go breakfast treat. And, unlike other breakfast foods, which might be crumbly or require utensils, Crispy Brown Rice Breakfast Cookies are easy to eat while you’re on the run – as in running to catch the bus or train to work or school!
The recipe for Crispy Brown Rice Breakfast Cookies yields 12 very large cookies. If you’re not planning to eat these for breakfast you might like more snack-size portions. In that case, make 24 cookies instead. Another variation you might consider is swapping out the dried cranberries and walnuts for different fruit and nuts. Some other nice combinations would be dried blueberries and almonds, dried cherries and pecans, or dried apples and walnuts.
Crispy Brown Rice Breakfast Cookies are moist and chewy with just a tiny hint of crispiness throughout, and, they’re gluten-free too! They keep well in the freezer. Wrap each cookie in plastic wrap and store in a zip-lock freezer bag. This makes it easy to pull them out individually, as needed, the night before.
- ½ cup/4½ ounces almond butter
- ⅓ cup/3 ounces coconut oil
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- 2½ cups/8½ ounces gluten-free rolled oats
- 4 cups/5 ounces crisp brown rice cereal
- ½ cup/2 ounces ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two half sheet pans with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Combine the almond butter, coconut oil, and maple syrup in a small sauce pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the coconut oil is fully melted.
- Place the oats and half (2 cups) of the brown rice cereal in the work bowl of a food processor and process for 30 seconds.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the ground flaxseed, baking soda, and salt. Add the egg, applesauce, vanilla, almond butter mixture, and the remaining brown rice cereal. Stir thoroughly until everything is well combined. Fold in the cranberries and walnuts.
- Place ¼ cup mounds of batter on the sheet pans. Flatten each mound of batter to a thickness of about ½ inches.
- Bake on the bottom racks of the oven for 20 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through the baking time.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
These look fabulous! And whatever you call them, I’d eat them up morning, noon or night!
Ha! So funny you should say that. My husband has been eating them for dessert.
I am all on board for cookies for breakfast! 😀
Yes! These look delicious and should be eaten any time of the day! Although, I think they would be perfect with a cup of coffee 🙂
These are wonderful, thank you! So tasty and crunchy!