Dates, peanuts, and flaxseed combine to make a mock caramel coating for apples. Gluten-free, dairy free, and vegan with no refined sugar.
Pumpkins and cider doughnuts are top on the list of foods we associate with fall, but not far behind are caramel apples – those decadent, candy coated apples that are so gooey and chewy they’re actually a little tough to eat. Well, here’s a healthier version of this beloved autumn goody that won’t make your jaw work so hard or get stuck in your teeth. Healthy Caramel Apples is a recipe that uses dates, peanuts, and flaxseed to produce a sticky dough that mimics the taste of caramel. This soft and pliable mixture is rolled out and used as a coating, resulting in a delicious, naturally sweet treat that looks, and tastes, a lot like a traditional caramel apple.
You need a powerful blender, such as a Vitamix, to make Healthy Caramel Apples. The dates and peanuts must be completely broken down and combined with the other ingredients until a smooth dough forms. It should be pliable, like play-dough, and a little bit sticky. Divide the mixture into 5 equal portions and shape them into balls. Then, one by one, roll them out in between two sheets of plastic wrap.
Place an apple in the center of the rolled out date mixture and fold up the edges. Cut away some of the excess, then press and pinch the seams together to mold them around the apples, smoothing any uneven parts with your fingers as you go.
Healthy Caramel Apples are easy to bite into because the caramel-like coating is soft and only slightly chewy, making it the perfect complement to the tart and crunchy apple underneath.
Healthy Caramel Apples are perfect for Halloween. Cover them with plastic wrap and tie with decorative ribbon to serve at a party or give to trick-or-treaters.
“An apple a day keeps the doctor away” so the saying goes, but not so much when you cover that apple with refined sugar and/or corn syrup. This recipe for Healthy Caramel Apples ditches those ingredients if favor of natural, unrefined, whole foods that pay homage to the idea of apples as a symbol of good health. Healthy Caramel Apples are a delicious treat, perfect for fall but great any time of year.
- 1¾ cups/8 ounces/228g pitted dates
- ¾ cup/4 ounces/114g unsalted, dry roasted peanuts
- ½ cup/2 ounces/58g - ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 small apples, about 4½ ounces each
- 5 popsicle sticks
- Place dates, peanuts, flaxseed, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt in a Vitamix or other high powered blender and, with the aid of the tamper tool, process until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Divide the mixture into 5 equal portions and shape into balls. Roll out each ball in between two sheets of plastic wrap to a thickness of about ¼ inch, or slightly thinner.
- Place an apple in the center of each and fold up the edges. Cut away some of the excess date mixture, then press and pinch the seams together to mold them around the apples, smoothing any uneven parts with your fingers as you go. Insert a popsicle stick in the end of each apple.
- Cover with plastic wrap for storage.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!