An addictive grain-free granola that’s chock-full of nuts, seeds, and aromatic spices. Great as a trail mix type snack or on top of yogurt.
WHY GO “GRAIN-FREE”
New terms describing adherence to a particular type of diet seem to come out of nowhere every few years. One dietary term I’m hearing more and more frequently these days is “grain-free”, which, as the term implies, means avoiding the consumption of all grains or products that contains grains. (Click here for a complete list of the many types of grains.) I’d always thought that “whole” grains in particular were desirable as part of a healthy diet, so I was surprised to learn that consuming grains can sometimes cause:
1. skin conditions,
2. digestive problems, and
3. issues with mental acuity
As you might expect, there’s a lot of skepticism around this topic, but suffice it to say that a small subset of the population simply feels better all-around when they either limit their consumption of grains, or don’t eat them at all.
If you think you might be intolerant to grains, check out this article – 9 Signs Your Body Can’t Tolerate Grains.
Oats, one of the most consumed grains here in the U.S., and the main ingredient in traditionally made granola, are off-limits on a grain-free diet, but, this healthy and wholesome Pumpkin Spice Grain-Free Granola is the perfect replacement for conventionally made granola.
BE CAREFUL OF OAT-BASED CEREALS
A trip down the cereal aisle at any grocery store is proof that most Americans are in the habit of purchasing breakfast cereal rather than making it from scratch. Oat-based cereals are particularly popular but most are high in sugar and contain glyphosate, the active ingredient in the weed killer Roundup, and a well-known carcinogenic (cancer causing chemical). Most troublesome is that these cereal products are actively marketed to children. (You can read more about glyphosate in breakfast cereal here.) If you chose to buy an oat-based cereal, make sure it’s:
• low in sugar (no more than 5 grams per serving), and
• made with organic oats so they’re free of GMO’s (bioengineered genes), glyphosate, and other prohibited pesticides and fertilizers
Better yet, make your own oat-free cereal with this simple recipe for Pumpkin Spice Grain-Free Granola.
MAKE YOUR OWN BREAKFAST CEREAL
Pumpkin Spice Grain-Free Granola is chock-full of nuts, seeds, and aromatic spices and can double as a trail mix type snack or a topping for yogurt. It’s also great sprinkled on top of salads. Best of all, it’s easy to make. Simply:
1. Mix the flaxseed with water and add the coconut oil.
2. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Pour over the flax mixture and stir to combine.
4. Spread the mixture out on a parchment lined baking sheet.
5. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through the baking time.
Once you get into the habit of making your own breakfast cereal, you’ll never look back!
For other healthy breakfast ideas check out: 3 Ingredient Healthy Pancakes, Maple Pecan Oatmeal Breakfast Cake, Cranberry Pepita Oatmeal Cups, Apple Flax Breakfast Squares, and Chia Juice.
If you make Pumpkin Spice Grain-Free Granola don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me over on Instagram @QueenofMyKitchen. I’d love to see your creation!
Pumpkin Spice Grain Free Granola
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1½ cups (8 ounces) raw, unsalted, pumpkin seeds (also called pepitas)
- 1 cup (3½ ounces) sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons roasted unsalted sunflower kernels
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir the flaxseed and water together in a small bowl. Melt the coconut oil and add it to the flax mixture along with the maple syrup.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Re-stir the flax/oil/syrup mixture and pour it on top. Stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Dump the mixture onto a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet and spread it out into one even layer. Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 15 minutes. Stir and return to the oven for 15 minutes more.
- Let cool completely before removing from the baking sheet.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SAVE IT TO PINTEREST!