Gluten Free Spicy Coconut Cornbread a great twist on a classic recipe. If you’re tired of cornbread that is dry, crumbly, and too sweet then you’ll love this version. The creamed corn and sour cream in this cornbread make it super moist. True to its name, it’s more of a “bread” than a “cake”, containing no added sugar and deriving only a barely detectable sweetness from the coconut flakes. And, it contains no flour so it’s gluten free. The red bell pepper and cayenne give it a cool crunch and a spicy kick that make it the perfect accompaniment to chili. Baking it in a cast iron skillet gives it an authentic feel, but if you don’t own a cast iron skillet simply bake it in an 8 x 8 inch pan. As mentioned, this is not an overly sweet cornbread. If you like your cornbread on the sweeter side add 1 to 2 Tablespoons of sugar to the batter. You can also up the cayenne pepper to 1 tsp. if you’d like more heat, as this cornbread is only moderately spicy.
- 1½ cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- ⅓ cup extra virgin, unrefined coconut oil, melted
- plus 2 teaspoons more for the pan
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 can (14 ¾ ounces) creamed corn (see notes)
- 1 cup chopped red bell peppe
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, baking powder, salt, cayenne, and coconut flakes.
- In a small sauce pan melt the coconut oil over low heat and then brush the bottom and sides of an 11-inch cast iron skillet with 2 teaspoons of the oil.
- In a medium bowl combine the remaining coconut oil, along with the sour cream and creamed corn. Mix well and then add in the eggs and red bell pepper. Add this mixture to the cornmeal mixture and stir until well blended.
- Pour the batter into the skillet.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the edges of the cornbread begin to brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing into wedges and serving.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT FOR LATER!
1 Comment on Gluten Free Spicy Coconut Cornbread